Borders has become a household name in the UAE. The one-stop shop for books has revolutionized the book retail in the Middle East. With a Superbrands Status, it has become a place for knowledge and entertainment in the UAE and Gulf region, offering a wide range of books, stationery, toys and games. It has become an all time favourite bookstore in Dubai for buying international and educational books in various genres.
Borders was founded by two brothers, Tom and Louis Borders in Michigan. They opened a used bookstore of 800 sq ft to serve the community of the University of Michigan and other local community colleges in the Ann Arbor area of Michigan. Gradually, the store became a popular hangout by the entire neighbourhood of Ann Arbor and within a few years, two more bookstores were opened in the state of Michigan, one in Indianapolis and the other at Atlanta. Later, Robert DiRomualdo, an MBA from Harvard joined the Borders business in 1988 and he opened fourteen new bookstores. By 1992, Borders had become a leading book superstore chain. In October 1992, the Borders brothers sold their business and Borders became an enormous auxiliary to Kmart. In UAE, it is franchised by the Al Maya Group in Dubai and the Northern Emirates.
Key Facts of Borders
- It was established in 1971
- It was founded by two brothers namely Tom and Louis Borders
- It is part of Borders Group Inc
- It is headquartered in Ann Arbor-Michigan.
- It is franchised by the Al Maya Group in Dubai and the Northern Emirates.
- The Al Maya Group opened its first store in UAE in 2006
- It has stores in Dubai, Abu Dhabi and Muscat
- It is the only store in Dubai to order any book and deliver within 2-3 weeks
- It launches different campaigns monthly based on a theme set by stores.
Features of Borders
Borders has in stock for all age groups an array of products ranging from books, toys, gifts and music that can satisfy every customer. It has a well-stocked fiction section, an impressive cookery section, stationery, toys, games and a great selection of study books. The kids section at the Borders store is remarkable. Along with toys and comic books, it is equipped with little chairs and tables. Gift items are also available for all occasions ranging from Valentine’s Day to Mothers Day. All items have competitive prices and are backed by an excellent selection of year-round promotions now and then.
Borders Stores around UAE
Products available at Borders: